Dear SOHA Member:
First and foremost, we want to thank you for your continued participation in SOHA. Without your loyalty and support, we would not be able to actively develop our communities and continuously provide our members with valuable benefits. Put simply, you, our members, make what we do possible. Over the last year, you have enabled us to accomplish a number of initiatives:
- Our 2018 Annual Conference, co-sponsored with the Lawrence de Graaf Center for Oral and Public History at California State University, Fullerton, was a great success and drew participants from throughout our region and across the country. During the conference we proudly presented our annual James V. Mink Award to longtime SOHA member and OHA leader Dr. Natalie Fousekis.
- Our Scholarships and Mini-Grants Awards programs continue to be a strong and vital part of our efforts. This year we are giving an unprecedented number of awards to a wide variety of recipients and practitioners. We provide highlights of their work in our newsletters, website, and social media platforms.
- We are cosponsoring the 2019 Oral History Association conference October 16-20 in Salt Lake City, UT. This means reduced rates for SOHA members. It also means that there will be special SOHA sessions and our annual Awards reception on October 19, which is open to all participants.
- As mandated by our organizational By-Laws, we now are holding elections for the 2019-21 SOHA Board of Directors. If you will be attending the OHA Salt Lake City conference, please join us for our Business Meeting on Saturday, October 19 at the conference hotel, where the elections will be held. See our SOHA Board Nomination Candidate Statements.
- Last but not least, we are planning our 2020 SOHA Conference for March 27-29 at our home institution, the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Our Call for Proposals announced the annual conference with the theme of “Home(Lands) and Oral Histories of (Re)Vitalization” at the Lied Library on the campus of the University of Nevada.
We hope you have benefited personally and professionally from your membership with SOHA. You can continue to support our organization in its mission to promote oral history understanding, cooperation, guidance, and community-based as well as institutional programs. Be sure to let us know if you have any suggestions. We’d love to hear your feedback!
Please renew now at https://squareup.com/store/southwest-oral-history-association .
Jennifer Keil, Interim President
Juan D. Coronado, Past President
Marcia M. Gallo, Past President
Anthony Graham, 2019-20 SOHA Graduate Assistant
University of Nevada, Las Vegas
4505 S. Maryland Parkway
Las Vegas, NV 89154-5020
Make sure your SOHA membership is up-to-date (calendar year renewal) to receive the special SOHA registration rate for this year’s OHA conference!